Thankful to Gr8ful Colette for inspiring me to do this: to write out all the things I have to look forward to with being sober.
- pride in myself
- energy in the mornings
- fewer nagging skin/body irritations/aches
- peace of mind
- increased ability to be present with my small kids (they’re such amazing little humans and it breaks my heart sometimes how little patience I have for them when I’m hungover)
- I will be a better partner to my husband and take on more of the stuff he shouldn’t have to do so much of because I just don’t have the energy
- desire to eat well and move my body
- time and mental space to work on some of the underlying stuff that got me addicted in the first place
- money not spent on stupid shit – not just the wine but things like greasy fast food breakfasts
- brain space to focus on other things besides obsessing about drinking
- no nagging feelings of shame and regret – well, maybe for other reasons but that’s okay! 😀
- a big, beautiful life
No one who’s well into sobriety ever says it’s not wonderful. I want to get there! These early days are just so uncomfortable. But you know what? They’re not painful. They’re not pure agony. They’re just uncomfortable and maybe a tiny bit of agony from time to time! Meaning, I can handle it!
TODAY I am sober. TODAY I will not drink.